04 July 2008

P.S., I Love Y'all

Czesc,
today was SO much better than the past two days. We had our first day of class, which seems like it will be really interesting. None of the buildings here are air conditioned, so that means our class room isn't air conditioned, and the Professor talked without the lights on the whole time. Classes are two and a half hours long, and at halfway through he put a video in about Medieval Jewish history in Poland. The video was subtitled in Hebrew, Polish, and German. It's pretty bad when you are excited to hear German because it's a language you actually understand. To sum it up: lack of air conditioning + no lights + foreign language overload= naptime.

Class got out at 12:00 and Sarah, Liz, and I ate McDonalds to celebrate the fourth. We ate desert at an amazing cafe' on the main square. I even ordered in Polish! It's the first time I tried to speak the language and the waitress didn't laugh at me(even when I broke out the phrase book because I couldn't remember the correct pronunciation of a word)! Przepraszam. I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of the language, at least a little bit.

After our fabulous deserts we spent the rest of the day walking around the entire city. We saw some amazing cathedrals (I think we actually spent two hours in one; it was so beautiful we didn't want to leave), walked to the Vistula River, and the Jewish district Kazimierz. All of the pictures I took have been uploaded to Picasa, and I'll put the link at the bottom of the email like I did last time.

I wish the I could have put everyone in my suitcase and brought them with me-- no amount of pictures or e-mails can describe the beauty of this place. I'm still in awe of the fact that I was blessed with the opportunity to come here and study.

Tomorrow we'll spend the day touring Kazimierz with and actual tour guide, so I'm sure I'll have plenty more pictures to share.

I really appreciate every writing back! It's nice to know that people are actually interested in reading all of this stuff I write. I'm sorry I haven't replied, but I barely have time to write these e-mails and upload pictures. Our days are filled with lots of food, history, and walking. A girl can't complain. These ten+ hour days of walking and minimum food are certainly grueling, but I can't say that I won't be in shape when I return. LOL I'll e-mail tomorrow!

http://picasaweb.google.com/sherlock272

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home